Wednesday, July 2, 2008

"Closet" adj. - [1913 Webster] {Closet sin}, sin commited in privacy

I had written this post earlier on my phone in the mobile version of Internet Exploder, which apparently is incapable of clicking the "publish post" button. It was a travesty among travesties. I was walking from work where I am employed in an IT department that supports the Press and Mail Services departments at BYU. It's against the rules to recite my complete job title on the clock, because they like me to spend my time doing productive things. They don't have budget to pay students to stand around babbling.

I have a nerdy history in general. I played and was quite good at Magic: The Gathering throughout high school, even being crowned president of the official Conflict Simulation Club on campus.

Shout out to Chris Levy! I stand behind all my arguments as to the assignment of trample damage, but concede that the way I used Gaea's Cradle with Crop Rotation was less than legal.














I beat Pokemon on a GameBoy emulator on my Apple Performa 6100 well before the cartoon ever aired. I'm not denying watching or liking the cartoon, though, even if their interpretation of Misty was way off. I played Dungeon's & Dragons, even creating a new class that used a debauchery of the experience requirement multiplier. The Vitamancer gained levels and hit points quickly with very few trade-offs! I seriously considered accepting an invitation to go LARPing with a couple of friends.

Shout out to Adam Foxx! I still think Dawnette Larsen was just using you for your Magic cards.

I am a geek, a nerd, a dork. All that being said, don't tell anyone, but I am a casual and an infrequent gamer. I don't know how it happened. I never meant for things to turn out this way. I should, by all measurements, be playing World of Warcraft right now. I ought to have a [whatever the highest level is] of [whatever the best class is] [whatever the best race is]. But I don't. I am a closet casual gamer. I play 10 minutes of Diablo II every other week. I have a level 16 barbarian who probably has a crappy set of skills. I am always excited when the latest and greatest games are announced, even making a mental checklist of what to buy, but when I caved in and laid down cash for a new console, it was a Wii, and I haven't even turned that on in the last month. I wanted a DS, so my brother gave me his. I played a third the way through the Zelda game and lost interest. The only game I played much was the Bejeweled game with some farce of an RPG attached to it. Today the game I play most is the hangman gadget in my iGoogle homepage.

So there it is. I like the idea of games, I just don't have what it takes. I don't have the time to invest in GTA or WoW or FFX or whatever. even some of the more involved Flash games are too story intensive for me. Forgive me for what I have become.

8 comments:

Betsy Hite Reddoch said...

Your wife thanks you for this, I am sure.

Caitlin/Landy/Calrissian said...

I'm a not closet gamer. I recently beat Zelda and the Phantom Hourglass. I went to my first real D&D game on Thursday. I play a human rogue named Lola. I beat Diablo II last summer and can't wait to get my own laptop so I can beat it again. I also really like that stupid game with the jewels and the jester that we used to play a long time ago. I really want to play Max Payne and Sam and Max too. Speaking of Max Payne, I was watching Who Wants to be a Millionaire the other day and the $64,000 question had Max Payne as one of the answers! It was the wrong answer, but I knew that and so I totally got it right.

read my blog: caitlinhite.blogspot.com

Jim Hite said...

I find anything that requires so much of my time it interferes with napping and TV is too much. Though that first few weeks of Mario way back when were fun. I waste time with online checkers and hearts etc. Mostly to excercise me mind and get that feeling of superiority that is the curse of Homo Hiteus everywhere.

Allie Hite said...

First I have to say that as your wife, Karl, I really hate the title of this post. Second, yes I am glad you are not a more...invested gamer, although you know I love gaming more than many other girls. I am glad to see that Caitlin has some really geeky games under her belt, shout out to all girl gamers everywhere.

Karl Hite said...

Title changed. Correct sentiment maintained. Potential ambiguity as to content of article removed.

Allie Hite said...

I like the new title. You are wonderful. I love you.

Anonymous said...

Alla hu akhbar!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about these. Well someday Ill create a blog to compete you! lolz.